Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Perhaps a little ambitious....



So perhaps the “deal of the week” was a little ambitious….

Obviously I haven’t been blogging every week and in fact am really far behind, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been taking advantage of deals at every opportunity!

To make up for my blogging absence of the past few weeks, I have a few topics/deals below:

1.       Every Sunday I receive a portion of the Sunday paper that is only the sale ads and the coupons.  It just showed up at our door one day, so who knows where it came from, but it was exactly what I was looking for! I had heard that the Louisville paper did this and went online to find out how much and/or how to get it, but didn’t think I had found out.  Maybe I did and signed us up and didn’t know it….
Anyway…I was cutting coupons one Sunday and found an opportunity to try some Lysol wipes for free.  It was a new product that they are trying to get on the market.  I always tend to look for new products that companies are trying to get into the market.  They tend to offer free samples or great coupons.  This coupon was for a new type of Lysol wipes.  It was a mail-in-rebate coupon, which sometimes scares people off from using it.  Many think it is a lot of work to do a mail in rebate so much so that it’s not worth it.  With the advent of internet/computers it is super simple to do mail in rebates now.  This coupon was more of the traditional kind, but still worth it for me.  We bought the product, cut out the UPC and then put this and the receipt in an envelope and mailed it.  Yes, it’s only $3.00, but for the cost of the stamp and about 3 minutes of my time, we have a container of wipes to use when cleaning!
I have used other mail-in-rebate type of coupons before, especially at office supply places like Staples.  Their rebates are even easier because you go online, enter a few codes, and then you’re done!
So the moral of the story is….don’t let mail-in rebates scare you!  It may take a few minutes of your time, but could help you get a $3.00 product for $0.46!

2.       I currently work for a medium-sized company who develops properties in NYC.  At the properties and within the office they have decided to use Verizon as their carrier for cell phones,  internet, land lines, etc.   The other day one of my co-workers let me know that we get a discount on our personal cell phone, etc billing with Verizon because our company uses them.  I had no idea!  The link is below, but all you have to do is type in your work email address and they will send an email to your work email.  You go to that email and click the link and it will tell you how much you get a discount for due to your employer. I had no idea, but it inspired me to write about it here just in case others didn’t know this existed.  

       http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/employee/emaildomainauthentication.jsp

     So this has me thinking that when I am making a more “major” purchase, it is good to see if any discounts exist because of my employer.   Another discount “membership” is our car insurance.  We have KY Farm Bureau and because of that we receive discounts at hotels, car rentals, Dell computers, etc.  So when making a major purchase, check to see if any discounts exist due to work place or insurance type memberships.

3.       Saving the best for last for this blog post…
We decided to take a drive the other day and drove up to the outlet mall about an hour or so north of Louisville on the way to Indianapolis.  Shout out to my friend Jessica for emailing me a coupon for an extra 20% off at the Banana Republic outlet.  We went in and they were already having a huge sale, so I ended up getting a business suit for work for about 70% off.  I normally couldn’t afford to shop there, but with Jessica’s coupon I could!!  As you can see from the below...I got a great deal on the suit! $112 off!!!


Outlets aren’t always the cheapest so you have to be willing to pick through things and know if you are getting a deal, but in general I always love going to at least look and get some good walking exercise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment